Marine Science Technician
The Oceanographic Technical Services Group at ASU BIOS seeks an experienced and highly motivated sea-going Marine Science Technician to join their team. Reporting to the Oceanographic Technical Services Manager, the successful applicant will possess the desire and ability to work cooperatively with crew and shipboard scientists for the ultimate goal of successful missions at sea. We are looking for a candidate who already possesses seagoing experience and a proven track record of technical support for ocean science on research vessels.
Main Duties and Responsibilities will include:
- Provide comprehensive technical and logistical support for all science related activities aboard the ASU BIOS Research Vessel Atlantic Explorer.
- Assume major responsibilities for seagoing instrumentation and systems.
- Operate, maintain, and repair oceanographic instruments, navigation and communication systems.
- Coordinate calibration and maintenance schedules for instrumentation and equipment.
- Operate, maintain, and repair shipboard IT network, data acquisition and satellite internet systems.
- Design, construct, and troubleshoot new electronic and mechanical systems and modify existing systems to meet changing needs.
- Repairs to both mechanical and electrical equipment as needed.
- Oversee cruise mobilization and demobilization efforts.
- Train visiting scientists and junior marine technicians in proper operation of shipboard instruments and systems.
- Lead or oversee deck operations such as the deployment and recovery of CTDs, deep-water moorings, gliders, mocness, sediment grabs etc.
- Serve as liaison between science party and ship's crew, providing pleasant customer service and technical support to scientists before, during, and after their cruises
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university in Marine, Physical, or Engineering Science, or a combination of technical schooling and relevant job experience.
- Must be a self-starter, able to organize their time, set priorities and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Must communicate well with peers, take directions, and follow policies and procedures carefully.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team, while producing work of a very high standard.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a positive/flexible attitude is required.
- Ability to deal with diverse groups of scientists, engineers, and technicians in a professional manner.
- Ability to carry out assignments and projects on land and at-sea with minimal supervision.
- Must have mechanical skills and an aptitude in the use of basic hand and power tools.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize advanced test equipment in order to troubleshoot complex systems on ships.
- Demonstrated ability to work on the deck of a research vessel and lead scientific operations.
- Experience working aboard UNOLS research vessels would be beneficial.
The successful candidate will be required to typically spend 150 days per year at sea. Rotations are usually in the region of 90 days and are followed by around 30 days of time off. Overtime while at sea is accrued and can be combined with 15 vacation days to enable off-rotation periods to be paid. The remaining balance of overtime is taken as additional remuneration. This is a rotational position where ongoing duties are split between multiple technicians.
Interested candidates should email their applications including a cover letter, resume/CV and three references to:
Human Resources, Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (BIOS)
17 Biological Station, St. George’s GE01, Bermuda
ASU BIOS is an equal opportunity employer and operates a drug-free workplace and learning environment.
The School of Ocean Futures and BIOS, a unit in the Julie Ann Wrigley Global Futures Laboratory at Arizona State University invite applications for a full-time, academic year, faculty appointment in physical oceanography. The rank for this position will be determined at the time of hire and will be a tenured/tenure-track appointment, depending on experience. The anticipated start date for this position is August 2023.
Please visit this website for more information on qualifications and application instructions, and to begin the online application process through the ASU Faculty Search System.